Cauli rice cakes, a delicious option for breakfast, and it’s not oatmeal again!
Not that there is anything wrong with oatmeal, I just need some variety, and without eggs in my diet, sometimes it gets kinda boring if I don’t feel like making a mess of the kitchen first thing in the morning.
Thankfully this recipes is easy to throw together and clean up after. 🙂
My pre-THM days, I used to make a version of this with white rice and white flour and real eggs. I was missing this old favorite and decided to see what I could come up with, and I am so glad I did!
This recipe does take one special ingredient that I have no sub for, its the Vegan Eggs by Follow your Heart.
I am sorry to say that Amazon only carries this large 2 pound container and no longer carries the “dozen” packs. However, I did call the company and they said that you can find the product at many stores now. Click HERE for a list of stores!
After I combine all of the ingredients I use my handy little scoop to get my cakes going in my cast iron pan. I oil the back of my spatula and flatten them down.
When they are beautifully golden on one side, flip them over and allow them to cook until golden on both sides. Oh! They are so delicious!
I like to top mine with on plan ketchup….I also added a side of chicken bacon, some strawberries and my daily cup of tea. This was a very satisfying S breakfast.
I think this would easily make an easy E meal as well, you could sub in cooked brown rice for the cauli rice and just spray your pan with coconut oil before frying to keep the fat down. Either way, these are delicious!
***This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for any purchases made through them as they help support my blog and my family!***
Cauli Rice Cakes
- 1 Cup Cauli for S Rice or Cooked Brown Rice for E option
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons VeganEgg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Refined coconut oil for frying you can use regular, I just didn't want to taste coconut
- Steam cauli rice until warm, I placed mine in a microwave safe mixing bowl and nuked for about a minute to warm it up.
- Combine water and vegan egg, whisk well and allow to sit for a minute.
- Chop onion, add to rice, pour in veganegg, add seasonings.
- Warm pan with coconut oil in it over medium heat. When hot, drop scoops of cauli rice mixture into pan forming patties. I used my medium scooper and flattened with the back of my oil sprayed spatula.
- Allow to cook until you see a bit of brown starting to form on bottom edges.
- Flip carefully and allow other side to brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
So could I sub in eggs? If so, what kind of ratio would you suggest?
YES! I used to eat this with egg and rice – the ratio here would be 2 eggs in place of the vegan egg. 🙂 I Hope you enjoy!!
It says 160g carbohydrates. Is that correct?
No, lol, it cannot calculate the vegan egg product since it doesn’t recognize it. These are a solid S, very low carb. 🙂