Chicken and brown rice soup – fall is here….I am so glad! There are certain foods I just don’t make during the summer and soup is one of them. I love soup, you can make such a variety of amazing flavors, it’s warm, filling and just so satisfying. It’s also pretty easy on the budget most of the time. It’s just a winner of meal! Oh! Don’t forget leftovers! Makes for quick lunches throughout the week. See, the list just goes on and on! Soup is GREAT!
Chicken and brown rice soup is an excellent E meal! The ingredients are simple, I usually have them all on hand and ready to go. This product I am highlighting below is one I always have in my fridge. Chicken broth is expensive, I try to make bone broth but I run out regularly. This little gem stays good in the fridge, makes a whole foods excellent broth with some hot water! It’s a staple in my house!
Here is a tip to make this meal even faster, use your Instant Pot, make a large batch of brown rice, freeze in 1 or 2 cup portions! Now you have a quick source of carb fuel ready to go at a moments notice!
So, I have to say, I am LOVING my instant pot. So far everything I have made has come out great! I have learned a few lessons as well, but we have enjoyed all the meals so far even if I have had to make a few tweaks to them the next time I made them. This soup however, was winner on my first try! I make this soup often in my stock pot, which is really quite easy to do, so it was just a matter of timing to be sure I got it right to recreate it for the pressure cooker.
If you are interested in other IP/ Pressure cooker recipes, you can find them here:
*Frozen ground beef to spaghetti meal (my first IP post with instructions)
That’s my IP list to this point, I am planning on adding regularly to it as I learn, I will share with you!
With joy ~ Tina 🙂
Chicken w/ Brown Rice Soup
- 2 frozen chicken breasts I used smaller sized ones
- 6 cups broth I add better than bouillon chicken base to warm water, it's a money saver
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Turn IP onto saute, add teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Add in onions, celery and carrots. Saute for several minutes until veggies start to soften.
- Place chicken breasts in the pot.
- Add broth, peas and seasonings to pot. Stir in rice. I added mine straight from the freezer.
- Stir gently, making sure chicken breasts stay at the bottom.
- Set pressure cooker for 12-15 minutes high pressure, longer if the breasts you are using are larger. Allow the pressure to release naturally, about 20 minutes. I then took the breasts out and shredded them easily, returned the meat to the pot, stirred and served.
***To make this stovetop, precook and shred your chicken breast. Saute your veggies in the coconut oil over medium heat until starting to soften, add in broth, peas, seasonings, rice and shredded chicken. Simmer for about 30 minutes. 🙂